Yield: Serves 8 – 10
Time: 4.5 hours
A variation on the traditional red chilies, this White chili uses white beans instead of red, mild green chilies instead of red hot, and chicken instead of beef.
- 1 lb large white beans
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 4-ounce cans mild green chilies, chopped (if available, use New Mexican Hatch Chiles)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack
- Salsa (store-bought chunky tomato salsa, or Pico de Gallo)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Combine beans, broth, garlic, and half the onions in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer until beans are soft (3 hours or more) adding more broth if necessary
- In a skillet, saute remaining onions in oil until tender. Add chilies and seasonings and mix thoroughly. Add to bean mixture. Add chicken and simmer 1 hour.
- Serve topped with grated cheese, salsa, and sour cream.